Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Jenna Lyons at the CFDA

"Thanks!" to Raina (of the amazing "If The Lamp Shade Fits" blog), as well as Irina, who shared the following article from Fashionista (click here to read in its entirety) with us:
Jenna Lyons Tells Us How She Pulled Her CFDA Outfit Together at the Last Minute
By Leah Chernikoff
June 5, 2012

We always look forward to seeing what our style crush Jenna Lyons wears to formal events. She never fails to mix J.Crew with high fashion in a way that seems effortless and just, well, cool. Our friends over at The Cut were keen on Lyons being the desperately needed “wild card” of the CFDA Awards last night, especially since style icon award recipient Johnny Depp wouldn’t be there to grace it with a pinstriped vest, a fedora, and thousands of man-cessories.

Luckily Jenna was sitting right in front of us during the awards so we got a good look at her striped sequined pants, printed periwinkle silk blouse and navy blazer.

So how does she feel about being a buzzed about fashion person to watch? “I was shocked to see something on New York Magazine,” she told us. “I didn’t actually think about [my outfit] until this morning and then I was like, ‘I probably need to think a little harder.’”

But, but! How does she always manage to mix and match to such quirky cool perfection? Especially sans planning? “Well, I’m not so good if I plan because then I think about it too much and I over think it,” she confessed, rattling off what she was wearing last night (“J.Crew, J.Crew, J.Crew, Celine” [Ed. note: I'd like to be able to say that about my outfits someday]).

Turns out her CFDA look was really down to the wire. “I was thinking what looks cute that I can have tailored before six o’clock,” she said. “I had the pants tailored today because they were a little big on me. We have an in house tailor and I called and said, ‘You know I haven’t actually figured out what I’m wearing so can we have somebody standing by’…The pants were delivered to my house as I was finishing my hair and make up.”
"Thanks!" also to st (in this post), who also let us know about a related article over at the Daily Mail: "Dressed-down Jenna Lyons and Lauren Hutton prove you don't need a ballgown to wow the fashion elite at CFDA Awards" (click here to read). They share:
Ms Lyons wore her trademark thick-framed glasses with blue and white striped and sequined trousers that evoked a maritime theme paired with the navy blue cocktail jacket and a periwinkle silk shirt.

On her feet, playful red pumps added a hint of femininity to the look as she posed for photographers with friend Solange Knowles.
Lastly, Fashionista has another article called "Solange Knowles Wishes She Hadn’t Chowed Down on Two Bags of BBQ Potato Chips Right Before the CFDAs" (click here to read in its entirety) that shared the following:
The more we know about Solange Knowles the more she seems like a normal down-to-earth girl that we’d want to hang out with. In a not creepy way, we swear. Last night she attended the CFDA awards with one of our other favorite people in fashion, Jenna Lyons. And since Solange wasn’t even wearing J.Crew (she was wearing an awesome yellow paillette-covered Marni number) we’re pretty sure Solange and Jenna just came together just because they’re buddies. But we had to ask, of course. ...

So you and Jenna are buds–why do you click with her and J.Crew?
I mean, we’re friends first. I of course love what she does at J.Crew. I just think it embodies my style in that it has so much color and texture and character but it’s classic with great tailoring and I think if you have one you have to have the other. And she’s just so freakin’ cool. What else can I say?
I really like Jenna's outfit and would totally wear it myself. Not sure about wearing it to the CFDA event (seems more formal). In any case, she looked great!

Also, it must be really nice to have an in-house tailor at your service. That is an amazing perk!

What are your thoughts on Jenna's outfit? Do you think it was the right choice for the fashion event?

16 comments:

  1. I hate those glasses! This trademark look was better on Harry Carry. That said the outfit is one of Jenna's I like. It doesn't seem dressy enough, but then again, the sparkles in the pants aren't visible in the photo. And I would just be happy with real tailor in my town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The proportions seem off to me. Both the jacket and blouse look shapeless, and that's a shame since the pants had just been tailored. From the other photos I saw of the event, JL seems as though she missed an opportunity to push the boundaries a bit more. Oh, and I have to throw a flag at JL's claim that she hadn't given any thought to what she'd wear prior to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a fan of this ensemble at all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. For once she is wearing a reasonable outfit, but it still doesn't fit her very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan. I think the pants are ill-fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read praise for Jenna's personal style, I feel like the child from "The Emperor's New Clothes." I really don't care for her look and think she is toeing the line of being a hot mess. I "get" that runway models and catalogue shots are often overstyled, but I am surprised when Jenna's quirky personal style receives high praise from fashionistas.

    BTW, I AM a hot mess as I type this. I am wearing my usual "drive the kids to school" outfit: ancient, faded boy jeans, plain tee, Ugg flip flops, unflattering "spare pair" eyeglasses and a messy bun. But, I find myself wondering what would people say if Jenna wore this? Would it somehow be "cool" and "fashionable" simple because SHE was wearing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JCK, I couldn't agree with you more with your "Emperor" comment! Funny how it seems the high praise comes mostly from fahionistas (read: the crowd in the story), while many in real life would question whether her style really merits the attention it receives. I get the high-low mix, the tomboy/unexpected edge, but if it weren't that she is Jenna Lyons and just an ordinary everyday gal, would she really garner the following she has now?

      Delete
  7. Not a fan of the outfit. I would never wear it. Someone mentioned the proportions seem off. I think that might be it...maybe it is just those awful sequin pants...I just don't get why she would wear this to such an event. All I can think of is "I would be wearing a dress!"

    JCK--haha. I too have my hair up in a messy bun and am wearing my spare pair of oversized glasse that I LOVE:)But, then again, I am at home and not going anywhere today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really not loving those glasses. Also, I feel like the outfit needs a feminine touch to make it seem dressier--maybe if the jacket nipped at the waist or had other more feminine detailing? And I do not get the new trend of baggy-crotch pants. Bottom line: I feel like if this outfit had a better fit I would like it better but it looks like she ran into a thrift store and bought it 20 minutes before the event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The outfit isn't my cup of tea at all, but mostly I just look at this picture and think, what a good example of the difference posture makes. Solange is standing up straight & looks so much better than Jenna slouched over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like what Jenna is wearing. Her outfit is boxy, because her body is boxy..I can't see her wearing something a curvy busty woman would wear. With that said, keep dressing the way you like to dress, Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pants only look good on some very skinny legs, IMO. Any curves at all and they will make you look huge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, but I think she is a disaster. There is nothing I like about this look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. IMO her outfit is much too casual for the CFDA Awards. However, I kind of like it for a casual event, like a movie or drinks with friends. I could NEVER wear horizontal striped pants, but Jenna's taller and thinner than me so they look ok on her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this a couple days back and had today to think over my reaction, and I'm concluding that she is a fully-realized individualist in this outfit. She's Jenna, and no one else can duplicate this look. She pretty much has the dorky/tomboy high/low mix trademarked. It's definitely not for everyone (or anyone else for that matter), but that's ok, it's her look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just keep thinking this woman has access to so many great designer clothes and this is what she wears? It is too informal for this event. And, it is rude that she keeps a tailor "on call" right before a big event. Sorry, but to me, this outfit is sloppy looking, untailored, and it looks like she took 20 minutes to pull it together.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)