Tuesday, May 8, 2012

J.Crew Email: The dress aquatic

"Thanks!" to Irina, who shared the following email J.Crew sent this morning.

The email features the Maritime Anchor Dress (item 83375; $98.00), which J.Crew describes as:
Our much-loved maritime dress is destined to get a stamp of approval with a whimsical anchor punctuating nautical stripes. We love the easy yet elegant fit and the substantial feel of the fabric, which holds its shape beautifully. Wear it cinched at the waist with a pair of stacked-to-the-sky espadrilles or sans belt with some ballets for a look that's truly see-worthy.
This dress is a throw back to J.Crew's nautical roots. It is super cute. I got a chance to try this little number out in person. The cotton had a nice substantial weight to it (heavy enough where you don't need to wear a slip, but not too heavy to make you hot). Unfortunately, it was not very flattering on my pear-shape self. I can see how cinching it at the waist with a belt would help out.

I also thought it was interesting that there were two zippers on the bottom sides of the dress. Not sure what the reasoning behind that is since the dress falls mid-thigh (don't want to go shorter than that!)

What are your thoughts on this dress? Have you seen it in-person or tried it on? If so, please share your review with us! :)

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I think it is SO cute. Sadly, the dress won't do any favors for my midsection, so I'm going to have to pass. Maybe they'll come out with something similar with a fuller skirt.

    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting tired of those different maritime dresses...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received a different email this morning--a cardholder preview of a $400 featherweight cashmere dolman tee. That's not the kind of cardholder email I wanted to see--a promo would have been much more welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried this on one of my rare visits last week. Had the same issues I had with the original Maritime Dress. The top was too big in my usual size medium and the bottom was too close when I sized down to a small. Wasn't very pleased with the feel of the anchor applique either. Felt like it would crackle after washing. Had it been sequins I would have thrown caution/style to the wind and purchased it. Love anchors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hexicon, I got the same email. It was a disappointment. Was hoping for free shipping no minimum for cardholders. Been a LONG time since we had one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute... wish it was longer though for my bean stock legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this and was surprised to like it. It's very cute, but from the comments I guess it depends on one's shape. The size S fit fine. The anchor was cute, but kitschy, but it added to the dress. I agree thissilhouette w/stripes & this fabric is redundant. I guess that's why the anchor & zippers were added.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wanted this dress to fit/look good but it just didn't work. I had to size down to a medium (usually a large or extra large). And it still just looked like a bag! I think it would have to be born with a belt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw it but didn't try it on. Maybe next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this dress. Love the zippers. Great nautical design for summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. An aside. I got an email about Factory crewcuts being 30% off. it looks like everything in the boys section is actually 30% off or more and I do plan on getting a few things. JCrew does have fantastic pirate prints and factory shirts don't seem to be slub cotton (correct me please if i'm wrong) so i expect they'll last. And the "sale" continues through the other sections in an "up to 30% off" sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is the point of the zippers? I think they look cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)