Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Part Two: Looks from J.Crew {Spring 2012}

In the "The Looks from J.Crew {Spring 2012}" from October, we got to see all the images of J.Crew's ready-to-wear Spring 2012 collection.

"Thanks!" to A Bigger Closet and suninseattle, who shared the following article from Style.com (click here to read in its entirety *and* to check out slideshow) with us:
J.Crew
By Nicole Phelps

September 13, 2011


Walking into the J.Crew presentation, someone coming out said, "Best show of New York fashion week." A few years ago, the very idea that the catalog company would occupy an official time slot would've been hard to believe. But tens of thousands of nicely priced stripey shirts, chambray button-downs, and neon tees later, you can't really argue that J.Crew doesn't belong at fashion week. In fact, we spotted a very influential French editor wearing an army green Henley tee from the brand in the front row at the shows yesterday. We knew it was J.Crew because we considered buying one ourselves.


Jenna Lyons and the head of women's design, Marissa Webb, have a formula, and there was no rejiggering of it under the bright lights of Lincoln Center. Color and classic tailoring are still the big stories; "it's the proportions that make them new," said Webb. The cashmere sweaters, for example, are looser, more slouchy for Spring, while the pencil skirts are narrower and graze the shins. Another skirt in multicolored sequin stripes was even longer—"it's almost a dorky, nerdy length," Webb said, "but it feels sexier than a mini now." The skirt was paired with a dark denim shirt, a look that Lyons and co. patented. There weren't necessarily any big new ideas like that in this collection, but that doesn't mean it didn't connect with the crowd. We'll still be seeing these clothes in multiples next season.
This article made me wonder what Marissa Webb is up to these days... Did she announce where she is going to next?

What is your favorite look from the photos? Any pieces you found interesting? Are you excited about J.Crew's upcoming collection?

19 comments:

  1. I wondered the same about Marissa.

    The green and blue colorblock tops caught my eye. Also the new handbags are TDF!

    Thanks for posting this Alexis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really like to know where Marissa has ended up, as well. Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird to look at spring stuff because we haven't even had anything resembling winter weather here yet (in the 50s again today). I'm not in love with the combinations of pieces but would like to see each one on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think at one point I'd read that Marissa had been working such long and draining hours at JC that she'd had to postpone her wedding. Between that and other upheavals then in the making at JC, well, wherever she is, first and foremost, I'm wishing her joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by many of the slides. Like Silver Lining, I'm anxious to see the pieces separately. There are definitely some things I'm interested in for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...

    A few too many prints mixes together for my taste.But the bags and shoes look fab. I loved the two print dresses ( top and bottom matching) very chic. But again the denim with more lux fabrics doesn't do much for me. The slouchy tops on the thin models just look too big and sloppy. Again just my opinion. Carolyn from Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that some sort of fantastic red and navy/black striped coat in the lower left? Otherwise, I'd really have to see more details (and pricing!) to get a better sense - but I love that they are staying with the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love seeing the lookbooks! The bags are gorgeous.

    So many slouchy silhouettes, though, which I can never seem to pull off.

    As much as I love leopard and think leopard pieces are forever classics, I was a bit surprised to see so much of it for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa: I totally dig the red-navy striped coat too! I had to go back to it a few times...

    That coat may be the only thing I put on my spring wishlist.

    Didn't really like the baggy/flowy look. Probably because for me, I could never pull that stuff off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummm I think Jc has lost its damn mind lol. Who is going to look good in those massive sweaters and pleated trousers?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Carolyn from Vancouver - the bags and the dresses. And the shoes, though my wide-width feet won't fit into them, alas.

    And, much as I love the look (and colors) of the slouchy sweaters, I'm certain they'll be too voluminous for my very small frame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for more slouchy silhouettes! My favorite items this fall/winter have been the Boyfriend Merino and Isabel Cashmere sweaters, and I'm delighted to see some summer pieces in a similar style. Lots of lovelies in that lookbook, overall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. enough with the slouchy! that means in JC sizing an xxs is gonna be huge!

    Don't they realize the allure of the 'slouchy' look is to have something fitted that still has the appearance of draping casually? now that's chic...

    My word verification is 'gelwgyl' which I believe is welsh for 'girls like fitted tops'...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ thatdamngreendress: LOL, which is Welsh for "you're hilarious" :)

    Am also intrigued by the navy/red stripe coat. I can't wear "slouchy" to work, and I won't spend over $50 on something that I'll wear while playing on the floor with the dog, so my bank account will be happy when Spring arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that oversize day glo orange handbag! It seems to be made of nylon or something, which would be nice - so many J. Crew bags are heavy that a classy bag in nylon would be a welcome change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes...the high waisted pencil skirt (was that linen?), navy/red striped coat was also fab. Pointy flats...check.
    Spring might be a continuation of the fall...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I really need to add my opinion, but if JCrew is poling consumers, then count me as one who does NOT wear slouchy shoulder, wide hemmed sweaters, or big drapy thin shirts. My shoulders are too thin and my hips too narrow, I look like a goon. Fitted and classic please. You can always funk it up with jewelry.

    Oh, and PS. Wishing the day glo colors would FADE away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Pathos, I prefer a softer color look. I just think pastels are more my style. I liked very little except maybe some of the pointy shoes, maybe....depends on quality...here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)