Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Having a Laugh {JCA Review Edition}

In the "J.Crew Updates Website with New Arrivals!" post, I mentioned my uncertainty about the wear-ability of the Button-Back Popover (Item 58400; $198.00).

"Kudos!" to kikki cee in this week's "J.Crew Reviews {straight from the JCAs!}" post, who shared the funniest review of this particular outerwear:
Despite the good-natured jeers directed at the button back popover in wool, I ordered it during the 25% off sale last week. My hope was that it was a straight cut piece that would suit my straight cut body. It arrived yesterday, and I can say that it's more of a trapeze shape, and a poorly executed one at that. The material and color are lovely, but despite darts at bust and neck (in back), the upper body fits soooo strange, as though the material at the shoulders was forcing my arms to stay up (think Chris Farley, Fat Man in a Little Coat). The body then gets horribly shapeless. Not cute.
I am sad to hear that the Button-Back Popover did not work out. However, I did have a good laugh picturing a woman wearing the Button-Back Popover à la Chris Farley. ;) Good one kikki cee!

10 comments:

  1. I actually ordered this and I love it! The color and fabric are wonderful and I think the cut is great. I can even pull it on and off without unbuttoning. I really recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks like a strait jacket.
    Oh david, sorry just saw that you ordered it, well I'm sure it's lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David: I am happy to hear that the coat works for you! :)

    Bourbon & Pearls: That coat is definitely interesting! I admit I am intrigued by it. It's the kind of piece that looks great on a small few (like the model who pulls it off nicely), but doesn't work for most (like on me, I just know it would not work well for my body type). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfect example for me of where JCrew is going wrong.

    This style IMHO has a lot of potential. I ordered both the XXS and the XS (note to JC: pretty please, decide which size I am--I don't care which, I'm just tired of having to try both). The wool is gorgeous, as is the color. It is actually a Collection piece (not in the prod desc) and it looks it.

    But the fit is totally off on me. The XXS fits as it should, very flattering, except it is super super tight under the arms. And I am swimming in the XS. As is clearly the model in the photo--now that I've tried it, I can see they are trying to hide the bad fit by pushing up the sleeves, etc.

    This has been my JCrew dilemma as of late: love the concept, hate the execution. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never squeeze my claustrophobic self into a jacket that pulls over my head and buttons up the back. I shudder just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this one at the Collection store before it came out online and I totally thought that it was a +$500 Collection piece, it looks luxurious IRL. I am sad to hear that the fit is off but I guess that they tried to cut it generously so that you can actually wear it as a popover. Why, oh why they didn't make a side zip is beyond me (the buttons could have been decorative only). Who wants a jacket that buttons in the back????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea Ema! I wouldn't want a jacket that zips up the side, but if you do you'll probably be able to grab this on sale. I'm sure that that alteration is about $30.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this and think it's very chic. Other than the sleeves being too long the fit is spot on. Took it to the store yesterday to get the alteration done. It's a popover...the buttons are functional but you're really not going to use them. The fabric is really nice. Other then having to wait another week to wear, it was a good 25% off purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I see the rear photo of this--the model looks like her head is on backwards and/or she's walking the wrong direction. So odd.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)