Thursday, November 10, 2011

Accessories are the Forgotten Power {according to J.Crew's Jenna Lyons}

The Bellfast Telegraph Woman has a fun article about Jenna Lyons (click here to read in its entirety):
Jenna Lyons: Accessories are amazing
November 3, 2011

Jenna Lyons says accessories are the "forgotten power".

Jenna is the president and creative head of American fashion store J. Crew. The company is renowned for its catalogues as well as for its sleek clothing and chic styling.

Jenna has given her top tips on how to look fresh to the December edition of UK magazine Glamour. She explained the key to a look is sometimes in the small additions.

"Accessories are the forgotten power! I have a pair of khakis on today, which I wore with flats to walk my son to school," she explained.

"I felt very soft and sweet. Then I got in the car, changed into my sky-high heels and, all of a sudden, I felt different. It's amazing how much an accessory can change how you feel."

Jenna revealed only pieces she loves and would make into the J.Crew catalogue. She hopes the publication makes people think about the way they dress and gives them ideas about ways to brighten up their look.

"Head-to-toe colour," she replied, when asked what looks she's loving at the moment. "A bright orange sweater with a hot pink pant, worn with a nude, leopard-print or even a bright red shoe.

"I love skinny pants with high heels. And we have these beautiful slouchy sweaters with skinny sleeves that work great with either a skinny, low-slung pant or tucked into a high-waisted pant." ...
I agree accessories are "powerful" in that the right handbag, shoe, or piece of jewelry can really make an outfit shine.

What are your thoughts on the article? Do you agree with Jenna's take on accessories? Do you agree with her style advice?

22 comments:

  1. Ooh, I definitely agree with Jenna--it's amazing how a pair of shoes, a handbag, or even a belt can entirely change an outfit. I firmly believe that the right accessories can make or break an outfit. Interesting article, Alexis, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexis, The holiday collection is online and the catalog is online too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again-looks like the 25% off STAYWARM promo has been extended through 11/10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New holiday arrivals and the 25% off extended... J crew is full of surprises lately! I do predict a holiday 30% off sale for Friday though! I love the Mona pump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for new arrivals and the return of the online catalog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo, now I can devote my time to doing things other than uploading the current catalog! I knew you'd come around to your senses, J. Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OT - Say it isn't so! New arrivals in my cart: Scoopneck blouse in wildcat, Heart me sweater, Natasha top in wildcat SOLD OUT at checkout 3 minutes later! How is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Carriage Coat Dress is gone from the website now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a few new sweaters disappear from my cart. I think they pulled some of the new items off for the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mini: I was thinking the same thing about them pulling items from the website.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FFM, mini - I agree. There's no other way to explain items there one minute, sold out in all sizes the next. Darn, why didn't I check-out 30 seconds sooner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still am struggling with the "slouchy sweater with skinny sleaves." Anything cropped or swingy at the bottom (or deeply v neck or boat) in the winter, and I think: brrrr! So I cross it off as "trend."

    ReplyDelete
  13. OT, but where has the collection section been all week? i'm guessing (along w/FFM, ABC and mini!) they're keeping a bunch of stuff off the site during the promo..bah hambug!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Browsing this new catalogue, it strikes me that J Crew has forgotten the KEY accessory to a woman's life: friends, loved ones, and a warm heart! I'm starting to feel void looking at page after page of a brightly groomed girl, standing by herself, in a starkly cold landscape, with her back to a male who looks off in the other direction.

    Sorry, I studied semiology. No mothers. No children. No multi-generational interaction. Not even friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree wholeheartedly!
    Jenna is such an inspiration and iconic style maven. This gal knows her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pathos, a keen observation and one of the reasons I continue to love and cherish old catalogs like Paris ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just feel like the things or 'ideas' that Jenna has are all statements we have read again and again in various magazines or online sites over the years, and J.Crew tries to make them out to be original ideas from Jenna or doesn't credit anyone else like they should. Haven't we all known for a long time that accessories are the key to any outfit and can change the entire look?

    It's the same type of thing like they did with copying the store layouts from other brands, but refuse to give credit to them. (Alexis posted a thread on it not too long.) I wish they would acknowledge that they do indeed 'borrow' from others at times (and not just 'boys', either).

    ReplyDelete
  18. You said it, Fabulous Florida Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. But could she button at least a couple of buttons on that dress, you think?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rose, that's a J. Crew dress she's wearing that was never made available and I wanted it so bad. I called the Collection store in NYC (the only one that was supposed to get it) and they said they'd put me on a "waiting list." Never called! This is probably for the rant thread, but seeing it again made me so sad.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Callie,
    The dress that Jenna is wearing is the Larissa dress and it was available online, but sold out quickly. I actually was lucky enough to get one when it went on sale. It is a great dress. It does pop back every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)