Wednesday, October 26, 2011

J.Crew Review: Blythe Shirtdress

Blythe Shirtdress
Click here for product page
Item 47714
Regular: $178.00
Sale (in stores) for Poppy & Navy: $89.99

So let me begin first by saying I am not sure why this dress is back to full-price online for the Poppy and Navy shades, when those colors were on sale for the longest time. If I remember correctly, they were on sale for around $130. This is considerably higher than the in-store price of $89.99 (before any discounts either). So if you are interested in either color, I would suggest checking out your local J.Crew store. (If they don't have it or one in your size, use their red phone to get the in-store price and promotion.) Okay, back to the dress...

J.Crew describes this easy-to-wear dress as follows:
The wear-to-work statement of the season is definitely the shirtdress. Try it in supple silk with a breezy drape that adds a bit of romance to the buttoned-up classic. This style features a hidden button placket up the front, a sash at the waist and a delicately pleated skirt for swish and sway. Silk. Long sleeves. Button front. Chest pockets. A-line skirt. Partially lined. Falls above knee. Import. Dry clean.
I saw both the Navy and Poppy shades in my store— the colors are amazing. However I just couldn't pull off the Poppy. (It was too bright for my skin tone.) The Navy is a classic color (and their stock photo accurately represents the hue.)

Sizing. It is important to get the right size in this dress. My main store only carried size 2. I tried two different times and both times the dress did not fit me right in the waist and under the arms. The belt didn't seem to fit properly either. When I went to cinch the belt, the waist did not sit right with the excess hanging out below. I left the dress thinking it just didn't work for me. I stopped by another store and they had a size 0. I thought I would give it another try, the last try. Well, what a difference! The waist & belt fit perfectly. No excess fabric at the waist or under the arm. (For reference, I am a 34B.)

The belt is a really nice touch. It has a simple, yet beautiful leather buckle. The holes are properly positioned to fit your waist. Moreover, the dress looks beautiful with the sleeves rolled up for a more casual look- or- left down for a more upscale look.

The fabric is absolutely lovely. It flows very nicely and does not cling. However, it is a dry clean only material. I don't really care for that.

I am also a pear shape (size 6 in bottoms). Some dresses, with an A-line skirt, do not work well for my figure. Thankfully, this wasn't the case with this dress. I found the size 0 dress fit me very nicely in the hips. (To clarify, this skirt is not full, but it is not a straight a-line shape either.)

Maybe another reason I adore the Blythe Shirtdress is because it slightly resembles Kate Middleton's blue dress (refer here) for me. (Especially now that I found my right size!)

For other reviews on this dress, please check out:
What are your thoughts on the Blythe Shirtdress? Have you tried on this dress? If so, please share your review with us too! :)

32 comments:

  1. My mother was in NY last week, and she managed to get the Blythe shirtdress in poppy for me, with the additional 30% off the sale price, so about $70 total. I wished I could have gotten the navy as it's more versatile, but she didn't know how to do the red phone ordering (she doesn't speak very good English), so I'm happy with what I got. It's quite a difference with the online price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had high hopes for this dress when it first arrived in stores. Unfortunately for me, the dress was too small on top, pulled at the bust and just didn't fit right. I think the cut and colors are so pretty and hope that there is more of this classic shape in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review; I was at my local store yesterday and picked up a few items (not yet online) and will review on the next go around of reviews. My store did not have this dress in my size. I am usually a 6 on bottom as well and the dress in 8 was too big and unflattering. I love the navy color but hope the color in a 4 comes on sale (online) soon. Ridiculous it's in stores on sale but online at full price.
    Side note: my store had the beautiful red/floral silk taffeta dress on sale plus 30% off and I tried on in a 4 and it was perfect! Looked really cute with my knee-high black boots and black turtleneck....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really a shirtdress kind of gal. My top and bottom halves are different sizes, and I don't think this will flatter me. I am very broad across the back, boo hoo. Looks lovely on many others though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove this dress, but the fabric makes it extremely impractical. The lightweight silk wrinkles and stains way too easily. Unfortunate because it's cute and the colors are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everyone is getting something fun with the extra 30%

    I reviewed the floral taffeta cafe capris (and the toile cafe capris again!) on my blog here

    and a quick PS to anyone still looking for the awesome icon trench. I know there are 8 or 10 left at the J Crew Store in Leawood, KS! (913) 469-0569

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear! terrible typos! Make that the ENCORE trench, and the correct phone is: J Crew Store in Leawood, KS! (913) 469-0579!

    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will not buy silk clothes anymore...too fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't have great hopes for the Blythe, but when I tried it on in the poppy, it was love for me. Definitely not a shy color, and won't work on everyone's coloring (or body type). It's not perfectly practical for me as a mom, but I love silk and think it's doable for nights out or when he's in school. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the shout-out, Alexis.

    This dress was a pass for me, but I am happy for the ladies this worked for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can anyone who has it tell me the length, shoulder to hem? I wish J. Crew would do this, Madewell does it in their descriptions. The Blythe looks like it has a big hem that could be elt down if I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Desert Flower, it doesn't look like it has a big hem. I am 5'6" for reference, and you can see how long it is on me in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in love with the shape and boththe navy and poppy colors but when i held it up I could see that the silk was separating from the shoulder seam stiching so I passed. To fragile for my life style. Pity thought because I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually love the dress, I bought it in two colors. I wore the Bright Dahlia yesterday with my floral Trixie shoes and I got a ton of compliments. For my climate, I can wear it year round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For sizing in this dress, should you order the same size as you wear in the Blythe shirt (for shoulders and arm length)? I know some JCAs sized up but I'm hearing that some sized down so I'm confused. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Rose. I'm taller than you so it's not going to work for me. I think on the website pic it looks like a big hem. I appreciate you letting me know that it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did take my same size as the Blythe blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For some reason I didn`t try this on when I had a chance in store, but if the sale price online ever approximates the price in store I would jump on the navy colour! I have the madewell rust silk safari dress to tide me over until then!

    I did spring for the navy liquid silk skirt with a recent discount promo, though I wish there wasn`t such a discrepancy with instore prices- when you don`t have the option of shopping in a B&M it`s just plain annoying!

    (my word verification is murds. murds indeed.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the link love, Alexis! And your review has made me rethink my review. Perhaps a different size would make me bite on the Blythe shirtdress at the B&M sale price. When I originally tried the dress on, there just seemed to be so much extra fabric. Looks like a smaller size might help!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just a quick thank you, Alexis, for the recent product reviews -- always very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Agree with JCrewJD that the dress is lovely but fabric impractical. I tried it on in the poppy shade here

    Love it but don't feel comfortable clothing my entire body in silk. It would inevitable be stained/wrinkled in the first 5 minutes. Nonetheless, think it is quite flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, Alexis, I'm loving your recent reviews. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, and I've seen reports that the Blythe is down to $59.99 in-store. I wouldn't be surprised to see that on the poppy color esp since it's a super bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the reference to Kate Middleton; I adore her and her style. Maybe you are on to something with the Blythe that I just could not see.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everyone: Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and reviews on this dress.

    OperaRach: I added your great review of this dress to the main post! :)

    audreys & gigiofca: Thanks! It's been awhile since my last review, and thought it was time to share one or two. I always feel like I am a little late to share my review. It's good to know that they are helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. jcrewgalnyc: Isn't Kate's style so elegant!?! She wears everything so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. They don't do charge sends, but for anyone who lives nearby, they have a handful of these in the beige and one red one at the Arden clearance store... for... wait for it... $40! I think some of them were missing the belt but I know many JCAs have mentioned not loving the self belt much. The red one is a size 10 I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the shout-out, Alexis! And you write great reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alexis - thank you so much for adding my review! Love your reviews - keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The information is meaningful and magnificent which is shared here. Very interesting and informative article.Blue Spread Collar Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job for publishing such a nice article. Your article isn’t only useful but it is additionally really informativeBuy the silk road clothing

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)