Tuesday, September 20, 2011

J.Crew Email: Trend spotting: polka dots

"Thanks!" to IRL & Irina, who shared the following email from J.Crew today.

The email features the Natasha Top in Polka Dot (Item 54034; $98.00) which is described as:
Our designers have done it again. Endlessly feminine in a popover silhouette—we trimmed the collar and sleeves in tissue-like ruffles and finished them off with a modern raw edge. In crinkled silk chiffon and snappy polka dots, it's our go-to blouse for instant frills. Button closure. Fully lined. Import. Dry clean.
The polka dots on the Natasha do look super cute! And the ruffles around the trim are delicate. Incidentally, this top reminds me a lot of the Dotsalota Chiffon Cami (Item 24733; $138.00), with easier-to-wear-ruffles along the trim.

Lastly, IRL mentioned about the email: "Now the panelboard background is really reminding me of 2006(?) JCrew pictures!". So true! I found an image for J.Crew's Crest Intarsia Cardigan (from back in the day) that has a very similar background. Maybe J.Crew really is borrowing from their own closets! ;)

What are your thoughts on the Natasha top? Have you seen or tried this top on? If so, please share! :)

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I have tried it and it runs large. I sized down to a 0 in it. Normally I am a 2. I am not keen on the unfinished edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on the barnboard in the background - I thought the same thing when I looked at the October catalog!

    The Natasha top looks cute, but I'm personally sick of raw edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose: Thanks for sharing that it runs large. As for the unfinished edges, why would J.Crew do that? Ugh.

    Silver Lining: I am over raw edges too. This top is off my wish-list now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I didn't think it ran that large. I would have needed to purchase my usual size. I did think it was boxy and unflattering on me. I did like the fabric, but thought it wasn't made very well.

    I was wearing a dotted Victoria cami on the day I tried this and it really looked sad compared to the older shirt which is still perky and looks new even after three years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a huge fan of the black background, a la the January 2008 catalog. It is so stark yet really helps make bright colors POP. :)

    Maybe they will read this comment and do so in a future catalog!

    (I can hope, they do seem to favor grey and white backgrounds.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I am a HUGE fan of polka dots (obsessed!) I didn't really like the Natasha top. So much so that I didn't even try it on when I saw it in a store recently. The raw edges were a turn-off and something about the fabric made it look cheap to me. I personally prefer the Silk Polka Dot tee. I know it hasn't gotten much love on the blogs, but I think it's darling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raw edges - is that still going on? It's not a "feature" IMO. I like the idea of this blouse but it's sleeveless and the ruffles at the armholes could make it tricky to wear under a sweater or jacket. No way I could wear a sleeveless silk top for fall/winter here in Canada. It would have to be a layering piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexis, I thought the same thing about the Dotsalota cami... this seems like a remake. I am also sick of ruffled raw edges... sigh. I wish they'd make a cute, flattering, unique top with polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If polka dots are a trend, does this mean there will be more polka dotted shirts? I'd love to see a non-raw edged, 3/4 sleeve version of the Natasha shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love polka dots but don't have any plans of purchasing the Natasha top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree that the raw edges was a wrong move for this top. So 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer . .I did like it upon first sight, but raw edges for $98. . no way! Maybe for half off or less.

    OT, does anyone have an inkling as to when another % off full priced merchandise will come? Or have we seen the last of that with the new shipping scheme. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I purchased the Natasha top in Poppy last week. If you are waffling between 2 sizes, I recommend the smaller one for this top. I didn't even notice the raw edges so in my opinion it's no big detraction from the overall prettiness of the ruffles.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)