Friday, March 19, 2010

Product Review: Sunshine Peony Skirt

Sunshine Peony Skirt
Click here for product page
Item 22591
Regular: $98.00

I can't believe the image for this skirt has not been changed from its current paper-doll status! (Refer to the "J.Crew Mini-Blooper: Sunshine Peony Pencil Skirt {paper doll edition}" post for more.) Ah well! ;)

J.Crew describes this little number as the following:
Our perfect pencil silhouette—leg lengthening and fit to flatter—in a fetching floral honeycombed matelassé (the print reminds us of a work by one of our favorite Impressionist artists—and it's exclusively ours). Prepare for compliments.
A big "thanks!" to Belle de Jour who shared the following review:
This skirt is the same fabric and cut as last year's Watercolor Floral Pencil skirt (Item 14864; $88.00— Gigi has reviewed last year's model here and this year's here). I purchased both the size 4 & 6, not being sure how sizing was running this year. The size 6 fits exactly the same way as my size 6 from last year.

The colours are not quite a match to the website. This has to do with how the fabric is cut. One of the skirts is more pink/white and the other is more mustard. I would suggest purchasing multiples (if your wallet allows in the short term) in order to have the colourway your looking for.

I will be returning this skirt. It's lovely, and if I didn't already own last year's incarnation, I would keep it. I'm still looking for a Silk Floral Indigo Skirt (Summer 2009) and hoping J.Crew has something as stunning in the next few months.
"Thanks!" again to Belle de Jour for her great review of this skirt!

For some reviews & real life images of this skirt, you have to check out:
What are your thoughts on the Sunshine Peony Skirt? Have you seen or own this skirt? If so, what is your review of the fabric & print? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

16 comments:

  1. I have this skirt and really like it. I know the print isn't for everyone, but it suits my personality well. The colors are just so bright and fun...should be a perfect skirt for spring.

    Fit-wise, I got my normal size 4 and it fits perfectly. J.Crew does a pencil skirt right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it too, AppGal, and I feel exactly the same way. I had last year's and returned it, too much pink for me. This one is more yellow (at least the one I bought is) and it goes with so many things in my closet. I preordered it after seeing it in People Stylewatch.

    I also bought my normal size 4, the fit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this skirt, too, and I LOVE it! And, I agree, it fits TTS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also bought this skirt. I love the print; it’s unique and very “jcrew”.
    I got my usual size, the skirt is TTS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pre-ordered this skirt but haven't worn it yet... I'm still on the fence about it since it is a lot more yellow and I just can't wear yellow well... However, I prefer this print than the new pastiche floral skirt which is much more saturated looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this skirt as well!! It does fit TTS -- I bought a 2 as usual. So very J.Crew and so awesome for Spring/Summer.

    For other pencil skirt fans out there, I bought the "Waterfloral Pastiche Pencil Skirt" and "Watercolor Garden Pencil Skirt" from the NJ Concept store and just received them yesterday. It was free shipping since they are full price. Love both as well!!

    Can email pics if you are interested....I'm sure they will be out soon!

    Priya.R.Cherry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priya Cherry - could you email pics and prices if you don't mind?
    mikekrisjohnson@comcast.net

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris -- I'll send it to you tonight when I get home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris - I did a We Will Find It for the Watercolor Garden skirt, and my receipt says it's $110.

    The pattern is the same as the sweater, but I'd say it looks a bit more saturated on the skirt, a bit brighter. It's one of the longer pencil skirts (I'm 5'0") - if I wore this on my low waist, it would go below my knees. The fabric is nice- has a bit of texture and stretch to it, and is a nice, medium weight. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Priya Cherry, I would love to see those photos as well. Mrsnonia@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (and JTS, thanks too - thought the comments were from the same poster - I definitely don't need the skirt, but the purple/green is so unusual and pretty)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pre-ordered thi skirt after seeing it in People Stylewatch as well. I have the floral one from last spring as well but love them both equally. I think it is TTS and one of my favorite skirts in recent memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some IRL photos of some of the new arrivals here:
    http://www.trousseauadventures.com/2010/03/j-crew-tangent-new-arrivals.html
    Three items in the Watercolor Garden print, plus the Waterfloral Pastiche skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, two items anyway in the Garden print, plus a mention of the skirt. Sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this skirt, as I do many of JCrews lovely print skirts. What I wish though, is that they would offer more options outside of the pencil skirt, for us curvier gals :) There is the one tie-dye one, but I'm just not feeling it... maybe soon we'll see more A-line options.

    http://spillingthebeans-emily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)