Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Product Review: Reese Studded Back-Zip Gladiator Sandals

You know Spring is just round the corner when retailers start bringing out the sandals! J.Crew has introduced several new additions to their sandals collection, including the Reese Studded Back-Zip Gladiator Sandals (Item 22862; $138.00). I really love the style of these sandals (with and without the studs, they look amazing!)

J.Crew describes them as the following:
For those curious to venture into gladiator territory, we highly recommend this sandal, a wear-with-everything strappy flat in studded vachetta leather, finished with a gladiator-inspired back zip. Regenerated leather footbed. Man-made sole. Made in Italy.
A big "thanks!" to Clicquot (in this post) who shared the following review with us:
Mini-review on the Reese studed gladiator sandals that I received last week.

I got the black colour, and I love how they look. They're strappy enough to look cool and trendy, but thankfully don't go overboard with a crazy amount of straps that go halfway up the calf. The zip at the back of the heel make it much easier to get them on and off.

My only concern is that the straps that cross around the ankle (the highest straps on the shoe) are a bit snug. I would assume my ankles are no bigger than anyone elses (not as skinny as a model's, though), so I don't know if the snugness is typical of this kind of sandal. I can slip a finger under the leather so it's not as though the straps are cutting into my ankle, and they're fine to walk in, I just worry that in the heat of summer, after walking around all day, will they be uncomfortable?

I do love the style and know I would wear them a lot...maybe I'll see if a shoe repair can stretch the leather a bit.
"Thanks!" again to Clicquot for her great review of these sandals! I, along with many other JCAs, had been curious about them— especially since they had a zipper on the backside of the sandals.

Again, these sandals look great! I should also add, that like every other flat leather sandal from J.Crew... they are not the comfiest. I own several sandals with similar foot-beds (like the Capri and Vachetta) and they are painful to wear if walking around for an entire day.

What are your thoughts on the Reese Studded Back-Zip Gladiator Sandals? Have you seen or own these sandals? If so, what is your review of the size & style? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

8 comments:

  1. OT, but anyone up for a new promo? 20% dresses

    PLEASE, PLEASE JCrew, have a promo on my zebra tunic soon! Or just put it on sale already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I have definitely been looking for gladiator sandals! These look lovely, just a bit out of my pocket's reach. - J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review Clicquot! :)

    I do like Gladiator sandals but would opt for a lower priced version than the ones offered currently at J.Crew, especially since there are tons of other options available now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About sizing...I forgot to mention in my review that they fit TTS based on JC's recommendation for half-sizes to size down. I'm usually a 7.5 but went to a 7 for the Reeses. The fit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I have the vineyard and capri flat sandals, and agree that they aren't comfy for long term wear, unfortunately. I think that the straps on this pair will stretch a bit, and that top strap will be just right after a few more wears. I had the same problem with a pair from Bass a dog's age ago, and they ended up being may favorite, most comfortable summer shoes for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I can't decide between the black or the brown...

    IME, I find JCrew sandals having short straps in any styles and the strap holes being too close to the edge (I don't have the model's ankle but still...) and having to use the last hole to buckle. Any JCA's have the same issue?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Reese Studded sandals but couldn't justify the price. I found a strappy studded pair over at DSW today:
    http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?prodId=197023

    for $40, I can handle the differences. Esp since I got a 50% promo for St Patrick'd Day! (I'll try any trend for $20)

    Hope that helps a little*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased these too, in the ivory color, and they fit beautifully--not too tight, at all, anywhere, in my size 9...

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)