Wednesday, March 3, 2010

J.Crew in the News: Catalogs Add to the Shopping Experience

There is an article over at eConsultancy (click here) that discusses how retailers (in particular J.Crew) who use catalogs can benefit in this digitally driven age.
Case Study: J.Crew shows what print catalogs can add to the online shopping experience
By Meghan Keane
March 3, 2010

Impressive advances in e-commerce websites— and consumer web proficiency— have changed the business of online shopping. But while retailers may have started to downplay the importance of catalogs a few years ago, there is still plenty of insight to be gained from those print products.

In fact, according to Coy Clement, who runs catalog and multichannel direct marketing consultancy clementDirect, online shoppers who read retail catalogs are often better at using e-tail websites than those that get there through search engines. A look at one of his client's website's — J.Crew — shows how retailers can take those lessons to heart.

Clement, who spoke with eMarketer, has clients that include Procter & Gamble and Hewlett-Packard as well as J.Crew. He finds that catalogs are an excellent way to direct consumers, both online and off: "I’ve seen cases where people who’ve received the catalog buy the featured items. They know what they’re looking for, and they use the catalog as a guide to what the company is selling. People who show up through organic search or a corporate high-traffic site have much more difficulty navigating the Website because they really don’t know what the key items are."

But that also means that retailers are doing a better job creating their catalogs than organizing content on their websites. Clement's been trying to change that: "I’ve helped retailers design three or four different methods of accessing the Website, for instance shopping by intended gift recipient, by occasion, by a category or by price point. If you offer people on the Website the ability to do any of those four things, what you figure out is which ones are most used."

There are plenty of ways to demonstrate how retailers are taking catalog lessons to heart. For instance, features like this one from J.Crew that shows how the clothes can work together.

The web also provides more room to explore features that may not fit in the pages of a catalog, where conversations started offline can continue. J.Crew has implemented that strategy with its March catalog, which featured real life women who "inspire" J.Crew style. Online, the company has interviews with the women that customers can read:

Features like this may not directly send customers to product links, but they help convey a lifestyle that a brand like J.Crew would like to promote — something that catalogs and magazine features do so well.

J.Crew has gone through sizable efforts to help guide customers through the online shopping experience. While consumers can shop by items of clothing, they can also see entire outfits styled by J.Crew's team and see the clothes in ways that are hard to imagine in a grid of all shirts on sale.

Giving customers multiple options is one way to test out how different deliveries work with consumers. But also, search metrics can help with product layouts. According to Clements: "Another thing I’ve done with retailers is look at search terms and learn about the customers’ terminology. Is she looking for blouses or tops? Merchants might be talking terms like tops, but maybe the customer isn’t ever using that word for search. Search terms can give you an insight into the actual way customers are thinking about your products."

But while catalogs are still a great way to reach consumers, the ways that people interact with them are changing. Says Clement: "If you’re selling electronics for instance, anybody who’s a sophisticated electronics shopper knows that by the time you get the catalog, it’s old news. So if you send out catalogs, there’s got to be a purpose other than announcing new products in the electronics field. For a given audience or product category, print meets the customers’ needs differently."
I totally agree with the author that catalogs from J.Crew help me find items online a lot faster. Like many of you, when a catalog arrives at my home I start tabbing the pages of items I want. From those pages, I go online and search for merchandise using the item numbers. Moreover, I use the catalogs for outfit inspiration. On several occasions, I have re-created looks from head to toe because they are so beautifully styled in the catalogs (from throughout the years) . :)

What are your thoughts on the article? Do you disagree or agree that paper catalogs add to the customers' shopping experience?

13 comments:

  1. For me, the catalogs are all about discovering a piece I would have breezed by in the store or on-line. Several times, I've been taken by a pic or an outfit of a particular item and then just HAD to have it. Plus, J. Crew's catalogs are fun to look at--even though the over-layering is distracting, there are some great combinations I never would have thought of on my own.

    That, and several cute guys :) What more could a girl ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the catalogs. I use the photographs more as styling references over the store mannequins. I like seeing how a sweater is paired with a top, a skirt with shoes, etc.

    In reference to catalogs, I encountered an interesting observation the other day. I receive J. Crew catalogs and so does my mom. For the recent "Who's That Girl" catalog, I noticed that my catalog was at least twice as thick as the one they sent my mom. I took her catalog home just to make sure! I had all the women's and men's pages. She had about half the women's pages and only a few men's pages.

    Has anyone else encountered a similar situation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but I'm the only one who gets the catalog at my house. Just curious, which women's items were missing from your mom's catalog? Wonder if JCrew has decided that their customers won't be as likely to purchase certain items? As an older customer, I'd still like to see what I'm missing!

    Seriously, I do use the catalogs for styling ideas and save them also. Would not buy a quarter of what I do at JCrew without the catalog and this blog to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone tried on the twisted chiffon cardigan? Thoughts, TTS? Thanks!

    Also, are there any IRL pics of the Beacon hobo (esp the suede, not metallic one)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been a catalog junky...since I was a kid. Glossy pages, beauty, fashion, dreaming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here, Monogramgirl. I was totally obsessed with catalogs as a child. I liked to clip out all the clothes I liked and save them to style imaginary outfits.

    I love when catalogs and websites show an item styled several different ways or, even better, feature a clothing capsule with the items combined in different ways. It really helps me to imagine how I could actually incorporate the item(s) into my own wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the catalogs and while I don't always find personal style inspiration, I do appreciate the spirit with which the stylist did the layout. The eye candy is fun! And frankly, I need something to read in the car...

    Linda: Re. the catalogs, we received two in our house: one for me (a cardholder) and one for DH. Mine was thicker, but his had a 20% code, good for a one-time use of 20% off of any amount. I was like, who cares how thick my catalog is, I want that discount LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the thinner catalog with a 20% off coupon (actually it came to my office for someone else no longer there) Jcrew does not send catalogs to me at home despite being a cardholder and loyal customer of way too many years(since 1994 at least).

    Totally off topic, I just received my JC Cyprus gladiators today and they smell HORRIBLE! I can't even try them on, the stench is like rotten fish...I'm embarrased my house smells like them now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely relate to the others who say they fell in love with the catalogs as a child. There's something about thumbing through an actual catalog in the digital age that is satisfying. I love recieving my J Crew catalog because it is something that I use for styling inspiration, like others, but also as a notional roster of items I would like to accumulate over the course of the season and "stalk" on the online sale page later. I have dog-eared J Crew catalogs all over my house! IMHO, the J Crew, Anthropology and Pottery Barn catalogs are as good as magazines for the beauty of thier photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kendra - I tried the twisted chiffon cardi yesterday. I'd say take your preferred size on this one. It doesn't run big. I usually like S in J Crew cardis and that's the size I tried. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE catalogs like everyone else. Totally agree with this article - I like the convenience of the internet, but having a physical catalog for inspiration helps me navigate the website. And it definitely draws my attention to items I wouldn't have noticed in the store or online. PLEASE keep the catalogs coming, JCrew (and maybe a little discount code once in awhile? I regret cavalierly throwing those little $20 off $80+ cards in the trash.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and Linda, I've noticed the same thing. Every once in awhile (not recently, though) I got two catalogs for the same month, one thicker than the other. The in-store catalog is also often thinner than the one I get in the mail.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)