Thursday, June 4, 2009

Product Review: Linen Halter Dress

Linen Halter Dress
Click here for product page
Item 15198
Regular: $115.00
Now: $79.99

When I saw this item being offered online, I couldn't resist. I rarely order a clothing item I have never tried on, at full-price. But this time I did!

I purchased the Linen Halter Dress in Charcoal- which really is a beautiful shade. While I waited for the item to be sent to me, I noticed that many of my local J.Crew stores started carrying the dress in white (and only in white). I have a feeling that most stores are carrying the dress, but not in all shades (charcoal, flax, misty lavender, & white).

When I got the dress, I was very pleased with the shade of grey. The charcoal color that is presented online is true to the color in person.

As for the fabric... it is lightweight linen. As this linen goes- it was the stiff (a tiny bit rough) kind. Not my favorite.

For the fit of the bottom, described as a "gathered A-line skirt", I found the images on the item page (click here) a bit misleading. The skirt portion seemed more full from the online images of all three sides (front, back, and side). In actuality, the fit of the skirt for me is not that full. The best image that portrays the fit of the skirt is from the latest catalog (which is the image, shown on the right). Clearly, the skirt hugs the hips. And when you put your hands in the pockets of the skirt portion, it becomes very snug around the hips. (Not a good look for me & my body. But definitely works for the model!) ;)

Also, when you sit down a pouch of puffiness forms around my tummy- because of the way the fabric sits (or doesn't sit properly, in this case). I actually became very self conscious about this and kept pushing down the fabric. ;)

For the fit of the top, described as "fitted cross-front bodice", I found it true in that it is definitely fitted nicely. Moreover, the V-neckline is not that deep. So it would be perfectly fine to wear it with just a bra and no cami underneath (which I typically do wear with V-necks).

When it comes to sizing, I went with a size 2. And for the most part- it fit me fine. (The top fit perfectly. The skirt portion was okay- just not as full as an A-line, that I would have liked). What is convenient about the halter dress is the part of the top back portion is elastic. (The zipper is on the side.) Therefore, the top is more forgiving in terms of sizing (either up or down). I have a feeling that if I sized up, to a 4, the skirt would fit me a lot better.

The halter didn't work for me either. This one seemed incredibly uncomfortable for me to wear- the linen tie halters around my neck kept aggravating me. I couldn't stand it.

I wanted to love this dress so much. However, I just couldn't love it... for me. I ultimately ended up returning the item. :(

What are your thoughts on this dress? Were you planning on purchasing one in the future? Do you already own this dress? If so, please let us know what you think of it. :)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to review Alexis!

    I didn't notice this dress before, its very cute - sorry it didn't work for you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review, Alexis. I love the idea of linen for the summer, but cannot deal with the potential wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I have this dress (in the charcoal) hanging out in my cart. Given your comments, I doubt this would fit me well. And I'm a stickler about fabrics feeling good against the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review, thanks for sharing! Very interesting about the fullness of the skirt - the top 2 pics of the charcoal and the white almost look like 2 different dresses because of the fullness difference. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review Alexis! I'm sorry it didn't work out...very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like linen but it has to be soft. Usually high quality linen is not rough as you describe. I have the linen postcard dress and it is a halter fits great and is soft from JCrew a summer '07. I do notice cheaper linen items at mid to low price stores as cheaper and rough. Sometimes it softens upon washing but not always. Wondering about the quality of fabric on this one???

    Also, I tend to buy summer dress in lighter shades or mid tones at most to stay cool in the heat so dark gray would be a pass for me.

    Sorry it did not work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of the front of the dress but I don't like the halter tie knot part. I love linen but not a fan of rough/stiff ones. We wear the same size and if it didn't work out for you it probably wouldn't for me. Thanks for the detailed review Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, Alexis! I loved the dress when I first saw it online, but once I saw and felt the fabric IRL at my local JCrew store, I realized that it wasn't for me. I ended buying a beautiful maxidress from Ralph Lauren. IMHO, dresses are not JCrew's forte. Except for the basic cashmere Peyton dress, I find myself purchasing most dresses from Ralph Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reviewing this one. It just looks so pretty, but I know it'd never work for me, either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a cute dress, but that length on me is just dreadful. I would look ridiculous in it. From your description, I think I would also have to size up to a 4 for the skirt and then the top would be too big. No, I'm not even going to bother with this one. I will let the tall slender models have this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stacie, HeidiG, FFM & CheesyGoodness: Thanks for thanks! :) I too am a bit bummed it didn't work out. Hopefully the review will help those thinking about getting this dress. :)

    Susan: I am totally with you on the wrinkles! ;) I understand that linen=wrinkles, but it is something definitely to consider.

    Raina & Genny & Gata: I agree with you that the fabric's feel is important in considering what to buy. It's too bad the linen on this dress wasn't smoother on the skin.

    JCMama: Thanks for the thanks! :) And I am not a big fan of the halter tie either. ;) But, I thought this dress was so lovely (from the images), that I was willing to overlook it. (That was of course, until I actually had to try it on!) ;)

    Sophie: LOL- I loved your "let the tall slender models have this one" comment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad the fabric isn't more fluid. That's a turnoff. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Alexis!! I have been admiring this dress since it came out, so this is very good to know...

    I wouldn't even buy this on super-sale now...

    Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Linen Halter Dress has popped up in the Summer Sale already at $79.99.

    Wow! That was quick.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)