Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Madewell Email: Ex-Boyfriend Shorts

"Thanks!" to Marietta who shared with us this email from Madewell.

The email features their Ex-Boyfriend Shorts. The shorts are described "just like the pair of his that you coveted- but with no strings attached" and retails for $72. The outfit is completed with the Boyfriend V-neck Tee ($24), Utility Blazer ($135), and Sandal Tassel Scarf ($48).

So many things to note:
  1. The outfit as a whole looks very casual chic and trendy- Overall, I like it! :)
  2. What is up with all the "Ex-Boyfriend" (refer here) and "Boyfriend" stuff (refer here)? If I want to dress like a guy, I will just go to the Men's section of J.Crew. (Or better yet, I will just raid my husband's closet.) ;)
  3. I really don't like these shorts (or Madewell's long jean version). They tend to look weird around the "lady area" (as in the crotch is way too low).
  4. Madewell is suppose to have lower price points than J.Crew. However, offering shorts for $72 and a scarf for $48- it doesn't seem to feel that way.
What are your thoughts on the Ex-Boyfriend Shorts? Would you pay $72 for them? Do you like or dislike the style in the short-version?

Quick Poll: Do you like Madewell's Ex-Boyfriend Shorts?

12 comments:

  1. I love the way it looks on the model, but on bottom-heavy me, I'd look gigantic! Then again, I haven't tried them on, so who knows? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blazer is kinda cute. I am glad the boyfriend jean is back out for the masses. I have been a faithful boyfriend jean gal of men Levi 501's since the late 70's aka middle school. I actually love the slouch broken in long crotch feel for some odd reason. I am just recently replacing my 501's from 2002. I still wear penny loafers with them and more. I will pass on JCrew and stick to my tried and true old faithfuls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jorts!

    Ahh, jorts and blazers... add penny loafers and tights and it's me circa 1999 all over again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the look, but would never pay for the shorts! i'd just find a pair of old jeans and cut off the legs. i'm liking the jacket and scarf as individual pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this and thought, "OMG, I am back in high school, junior year, early 90s." This WAS the way you wore denim shorts back then. You would take the most awful pair of jeans your dad owned and cut them up and then put holes in them with sandpaper. And you did wear them that loose and baggy.

    Of course this was the same time when girls happily went out of the house in men's boxers and tried to pretend that they weren't wearing underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dinagideon, the boxers as outerwear era, to my shame I participated!!! I am blushing and trying to erase those memories as I type. Maybe that's why I've bought little this season! Too much reminds me of mistakes from the past, and not just in an "If you wore it the first time around" rule way. The bonbon, the old man, saggy crotch bottoms, and the layerey disheveledness of it all- none of it speaks to my adlut self. I'll take a pass on the Madewell shorts, just like I'll say no to the reported Heathers remake! What's next, snappy crotch bodysuits?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with dinagideon and CheesyGoodness. These shorts remind me of past fashion faux pas. When I see them, all I can think about is being in college, and donning a pair of my boyfriend's old jeans to wear home on the walk of shame. Ugh! I am too old for that look now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love "boyfriend" type fits for women's clothes -- long before it became a trend this season, I loved slouchier-fit jeans.

    But $72 for a non-descript pair of cut-offs? Madewell staff must be high. You can cut off the cheapest jeans and get the same effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. baggy jorts = NO!!! Please, no!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone: love reading your comments! It's great to hear everyone's take on the styling. :)

    Tastymoog & Em: LOL- JORTS! I did not know that term- and I find it hysterical! Loves it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)