Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Store Opening: J.Crew-at-the-Beach

"Thanks!" to Christine who shared with us an article over at the Los Angeles Times (click here) about J.Crew's most recent store opening:

J.Crew-at-the-Beach opens in Malibu
By Max Padilla

April 19, 2009


J.Crew, the preppy clothing line that's a First Family favorite, introduces its new resort store -- called J.Crew-at-the-Beach -- at the just-opened Malibu Lumber Yard open-air shopping center.


Taking a cue from its coastal environs, J.Crew-at-the-Beach features a beachy color scheme, salt-air weathered brass fixtures and sun-bleached floors made from reclaimed oak. The store also carries limited-edition surfboards and has customized offerings such as the Malibu houseguest survival kit -- a monogrammed tote with flip-flops and swimwear. (On opening day Tuesday, it will be giving out neon Capri flip-flops as a gift with purchase.)


The Lumber Yard store stocks the crème de la crème of J.Crew's women's collections, including cashmere knits, jewelry and made-in-Italy shoes and bags, plus resort gear and the "crewcuts" kids clothing line -- but no menswear (a stand-alone men's store is being considered). The store also houses a shop within the shop that will showcase exclusive lines such as LemLem for crewcuts.


LemLem, the 2-year-old hand-woven children's clothing line (prices range from $80 for a scarf to $175 for a girl's party dress), is designed by Liya Kebede, the Ethiopian-born model and UNICEF International Goodwill Ambassador, and features embroidery and other accents from her native country.


3939 Cross Creek Road, Malibu. (310) 456-6760. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.


To be honest, I am intrigued by the new store. I would love to see the layout and how it differs from J.Crew's more traditional store layout. "Congrats!" to all those living in the Malibu, CA area! :)

What are your thoughts on the article? Do you like the "concept store" in Malibu, CA? Do you think they should create more stores like this one?

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I want to see pictures of that store.

    Does anyone have a list of the different customized J.Crew boutique stores (Beach, Island, Mountain, etc.) and their locations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been hard for me to get used to seeing the ever rising prices at JCrew. A children’s scarf for $75, at J Crew is madness! Don’t get me wrong, I live in the UK and just about everything here is expensive, about twice as much as the US, but then again, my husband and I choose to spend our disposable income on holidays in Europe not overpriced clothing. I know this new store is in Malibu, but I would like to think that even if I had enough money to throw around I would never buy a $175 party dress for my toddler. I am not getting self righteous and I am not going to bring up starving kids in Africa, I just think that sometimes clothes can be expensive for no good reason and this is a good example of that. That being said, the new store sounds beautiful and as usual J Crew knows how to entice its target shoppers with rustic details and limited edition items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Definitely going there this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "LemLem, the 2-year-old hand-woven children's clothing line (prices range from $80 for a scarf to $175 for a girl's party dress"

    $80 for a children's scarf? Bite me, Liya, just bite me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J. Crew on the island is in hawaii, and while they don't sell customized surfboards, it sounds nearly identical to this one! I believe there is also a J.crew on the island in the hamptons (?) or somewhere simliar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a J. Crew-at-the-Beach store in SanDestin, Florida. It is lovely and just features more swimsuits & cover-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anony@5:10
    I live in the UK too. I thought the same thing about the LemLem collection. Madness and crazy pricing for the average consumer but there must be a market otherwise JCrew would not be offering this line, and, as we know, people have high credit card debt just to stay in style!

    Also, if Michelle O's daughter's start wearing it...it will sell like hot cakes.

    I won't but buying...no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to the J.Crew-at-the-beach stores in Carmel, CA and East Hampton, NY and though beautifully decorated was disappointed to see that there were no exclusive products or anything different than an edited version of what was at my regular store.

    But maybe this season it will change? It sounds like the Malibu store might have exclusive product. I will be checking out the East Hampton one again this Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. About the LemLem prices--maybe we can hope that some of this money goes to the Ethiopian women weaving the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the lem lem scarf isn't a child's scarf, it's normal scarf size...for big kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never visited one of the themed stores. I am sure it will do well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The money will go back to the weavers in Ethiopia (they are actually traditionally men) - that's the point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I can get my sorority sister to drive up to Malibu, I'd love to check out JC at the Beach.
    The idea sounds very nice. Perhaps they might put one near my neck of the woods (Newport Beach or La Jolla).

    ReplyDelete
  14. JCrew at the beach Malibu does have a lot of collection items which you will not find in any regular stores (only collection stores like the hamptons and madison ave). They also have a lot of cashmere and more jewelry, plus it is just a nicer store than the regular ones.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)