Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dream Tie: How To Wear It With The Bow?

Dream tie cardigan
Click here for product page
Item 96220
Regular: $98.00
Now: $29.99

Awhile back there was a post (click here) about this {beautiful} cardigan.

"Thanks!" to Linda who shared the following review with us and how she solved the sweater curl issue:

I purchased two Dream Tie Cardigans this year, but was disappointed with how the front tie made the edges of the sweater curl under when worn (if you own one this will make sense).

After a month of not wearing them, I thought of a fix that has really worked and made them much more wearable. I sewed the ties down to the edge of the sweater, which allows the front sides to lay flat when worn, instead of curling under.

I've attached a few pictures so that this makes sense - The ties can be hand sewn or sewing machine stitched (i used a zig-zag stitch) - or a quick trip to the tailor would work too.

The first picture shows the stitching and and second shows how it lays much flatter when tied - and looks a LOT better - the bow even covers up the stitching ....
"Thanks!" again to Linda for her great insights! :)

What do you think of the Dream tie cardigan? Would you buy it? Do you own it? If you do own it, please let us know (1) what is your review of the sweater and (2) how would you wear the sweater. {"Thanks!" in advance for sharing!)

16 comments:

  1. OH, how I wish I could get my hands on this cardigan again! I only bought it in navy and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, but I think the bow part may be too cutesy. Plus it's not available on the site even if I did want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Linda! Thank you for sharing it with everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!!!! for posting. I have this sweater too and couldn't understand how to make the bow look nice. I have it in snow btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own this is eggplant and have only worn it once, as I just don't think it is for me. I was interested to read this blog entry as the bow had kind of bothered me. I've tried it on again and still think it is not my style (ie. it's not something I have to make an effort to wear). Maybe I will list it on the weekly exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this sweater and I love it. I really hope JC brings this back in more colors. I've actually never had a problem with the sweater curling under. My only problem has been with the tie actually falling off after only three months of wear, which I mentioned on another thread. Oh, and I never tie it in a bow, just in a knot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this sweater!!! It was the unsung hero of my holiday - then winter wardrobe. I have it in grey and navy - and I ended up wearing both with a tank (either hammered silk or one of the gathered summer tanks (can't remember the name) - with the tie in a bow. I wore white under the grey and navy under navy. I would then wear layered necklaces with either jeans or cute pants (depending on where I was going). I get tons on compliments each time I wear them!! I have had no issues with either sweater. I would buy another in a heartbeat if it was available! Very flattering too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jacquelyn: What size is your cardigan in eggplant? I would love to take a look if you do plan on selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have it in navy, but bought it last winter (or maybe even earlier??) and haven't really had a problem with the edges curling. Maybe it's an issue with the newer ones (to raise a dead horse for another beating re: declining quality?). I did have a problem with one of the ties beginning to rip off after only a few wearings, but I just sewed it back on. I usually tie mine in a little bow. Love this sweater & agree it would be great in more colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great idea, Linda! I have this sweater in a couple of colors and can never get the bow just right (so I usually just knot). I think this will really help. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the cardigan in navy and a hot pink color, and I love them both. The trick to getting a nice bow is to actually tie the correct knot (most people tie Granny knots, which will make the bow crooked). This is a good reference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JCrew Adorer, my cardi is an XL. if you are interested email me at fashionableyetfrugal at cox dot net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this cardi in heather grey and it worked fine for me. Not much pilling and I didn't have any problem with getting the bow to be picture perfect as is without any additional sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I super love this cardigan!!! I just tie the bow into a know. It looks fine. I have in the yellow (saffron?) color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too wish I had gotten one. If anyone is interested in selling...I need a medium :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have this cardigan in the honey glaze and LOVE it. i haven't had any problems with curling. it is my favorite purchase of the winter season. usually i make a bow, occasionally i just knot it.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)